Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Ryo by Ueda Rinko (Spoilers ahead)

Read at your own risk. Spoilers ahead.




I wish i can scream like a banshee right now.
It is because, I HAVE WASTED MY TWO DAYS READING A MANGA CALLED 'RYO', JUST FOR A CRAPPY ENDING WHICH NEARLY EVERYONE DIES IN IT (except one guy named Kaizon), and i was like WHAT THE HELL???!!!!

Huhh.. I wish you guys could understand my feelings. I know, some would say I am totally over-reacting and stuff, because it is just a manga, a comic and why would you make such a fuss about it..yada yada yada..NO!!! IT IS NOT JUST A MANGA! For those who does not read comic books, you wouldn't understand how a comic, a good storyline and happy ending can affect one's behavior and to tell you what, we are psychologically affected by it too!!! ( And I am severely affected by the crappy ending!)

Okay, okay. The manga is called Ryo, by Ueda Rinko.. I love how she manipulates the ancient Japanese history and fits it in a love story. The fact that the two main lead Ryo/Yoshitsune and Benkei, as in the history, they are not a couple but they had a Master-vassal relationship going on between them. Ryo/Yoshitsune in the manga is a girl whereby the historical Yoshitsune is actually a guy! Bzztt... but that's okay with me, who cares what happened in the past?

The story started out well when Ryo was dragged to the past by Benkei after she learned that she is Yoshitsune of Genji and she is needed to defeat the Heishi/Taira clan. She was raised as a boy until she was 15 years old so that Koremori of Taira (one hell pitiful character) wont have a chance to marry her and take the reign of feudal Japan.

But this Koremori guy, was determined to have Ryo/Yoshistsune as a wife even though it was said that Yoshitsune is a guy and lots of thing happened... and why I said this Koremori guy is pitiful? I dunno... this dude was like in the writhing pain, he was in love with Ryo/Yoshitsune for so long, he always believed that Yoshitsune is a girl (and it turned out she is).. He was in love with a ficlke and wishy-washy girl so in the end he died killing himself after he saved the girl in the battle (Yoshitsune rejected his love and this Koremori guy wanted Yoshitsune to kill him 2 years later because he's not able to bear with the fact that Yoshitsune did not love him, which then Yoshitsune was not able to execute Koremori...and he ended up killing himself). Tsk tsk tsk.

To sum up the ending.

Benkei - Died while they were on the run, killed when Yoshitsune's brother (the bro has gone crazy after his wife dies and wanted Yoshitsune to be his) arrow cut tru his throat.

Ryo/Yoshitsune - Died when she saved the true Ryo from the future ( true Ryo supposed to be dead from a car crash)

Aoi - A guy from the future, he tagged along with Ryo/Yoshitsune to the past. He was killed by Yoshitsune's brother.

Koremori - Suicide.

The Brother - Killed by Yoshitsune.

9 comments:

  1. Haaaaa??
    Im reading Ryo online right now but it's not completely uploaded in all the sites I've checked and this one caught my eye cus of the SPOILERS AHEAD!

    You mean everyone dies???????! For real!?!?!

    And who kills Benkei? Ryo's cousin Yoshinaka of Kiso? Then how does Torako die? And did he kill Aoi too?

    Except, wait.........you said her brother. You mean Yoritomo?!? And his wife Masako dies? But why would he want Ryo for himself? She's his sister!!!
    Im so confuuuused!

    And what's this about Ryo dying while saving the REAL Ryo, the one from the future? How does THIS happen?!?
    I'm soo terribly confuuuuuuuuuused!

    Do you know if there is a complete translation of this anywhere? Or where I might download the raws? The good thing about manga is that because of the drawings, you don't REEEEAALLY need to understand the words too much...
    Please and thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG Sorry. I know you are enjoying the manga, well i enjoyed it as well, before all the killings~ (yeah, dunno what's in the mangaka's head) zzzz..

    Actually I just scanned thru the raws... here

    http://www.finaleden.com/Type.aspx?id=1417

    (dunno whether the link is still working or not)

    Events below are what I concluded from the raws - since I really don't read chinese..

    1) Koremori dies under a cherry tree

    2) Yoshinaka (the perv cousin) conspire a rebellion and later dies

    3) Ryo and Benkei finally married

    2) Ryo escaped from her crazy-possesive Yorimoto (brother) and gave birth to a boy

    3) Ryo and Kaison (Uta's brother) followed the wolf which carried her boy off a cliff and into the 21st Century (couple years before the start of the story) and continue to look for her son

    4) Ryo eventually went to visit her family and met her younger self running away from her grandpa b/c the young Ryo didn't want to practice kendo

    5) Young Ryo was saved by Ryo/Yoshistune and Ryo/Yoshistune later dies from the accident while Kaison carries her away on his back.

    6) Kaison wearing the same gear Benkei did in chp1 and passed the teenage Ryo on her school trip on the bridge

    7) It turns out that the reason Aoi tagged with Ryo into the Hein is because he is actually Ryo's and Benkie's missing son.

    I drop this manga for months now,(as you can see from the post's date.. so i hv a little recollection on wht happened in the manga...but...good luck and happy reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i was extremely excited by this manga D:! it hasn't happen since 2000 or 1999 (and it's 2011!!! damn them!) and this manga really caught my eye! and then i couldn't keep on reading 'coz of the scans are not translated... but as a good obsessed otaku i looked for it... and yes... i was like:

    I spent my days reading this.

    I REALLY felt, and feel dissapointed; totally HORRIBLE ending. If you have read Rg Veda -a real tragedy as well, awesome manga, extremely recommended from the platinium days of Clamp before they sold their bodies and souls to the shoujo fluffy manga-. you will know Rg Veda has a very similar ending BUT... the main couple which will be here the same... end up together -among tragedies and pain.. and death though- but this is... really

    I don't know how to bear with this horrible ending... it even made my cry and that just was done by Rg Veda,,, i feel offended.

    -_-

    btw, your reaction was completely understandable dear.

    ReplyDelete
  4. eh!? is that true!? ;-; ive finished chapter 70 and im now searching for the rest chapters and i see this! uuhhh but i will continue reading because this truly is a beautiful manga! ah, i will not give up! i hope the link to the rest of the manga is still working!

    ReplyDelete
  5. eh!? is that true!? ;-; ive only finished up to chapter 70 and i see this uuuu~ Still! i will continue to read this beautiful manga wish me luck!i just hope the link given to the rest of the chapters is still working...and i also hope you guys can see this ;3 well, u guys probably wont...thank you again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know!!! The feeling of reading a manga and nobody cares when you panic about it!!! ITS REAL IN MY HEAD PEOPLE!!! I kind of saw the everyone dying thing coming though. I read a biography on Yoshitsune Minamoto only a couple weeks before finding this manga. The historical facts follow along with the story mostly such ad when she went to Benkei's village and such. So I kind of saw the ending coming but STILL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Here is the ending in chinese. Click on 11. http://m.dm5.com/manhua-zaishengyingciling/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Anonymous from 2017, fellow gutted reader from the future in 2021 appreciating the raws - wish our faceless heroes (translators) would have come together to finish the series by now because LORD!!!! I've gathered this big bowl of beautiful juicy fruit (binged this in a whole day until tonight where I find myself searching for chapter 71) and I feel like Rinko Ueda just smacked the fruit right to the ground and it's now a big pulpy mess on the floor.

    I must know the details into the fall her brother's condition, I don't see how the loss of his wife could have turned him so violently wrong. Especially after most of the people had just died from the idiotic gun slinger pharmacist (haha still not convinced his motives were so flushed out, but I understand we needed to get back to the initial laws of this universe, like I wish I knew why it's so easy to waltz into a forest, what created that space and when was it created?) What happened to the war exactly as well? Did the Heishi end up prevailing after all of our protagonists fell? I can only pick up the big picture with raws, but not those specific details. It seems like everything was just building up until the evil Pharmacist and I'm so bummed how quickly this beautifully built up story came crashing down. Sort of more offended by this than Game of Thrones haha. BENKEI WOULD NEVER SUFFER SUCH A DEATH, really fleeing? The duel was most appropriate, kinda got red flags the moment they brought him back and "oh whoops yeah I conveniently survived and lost my memories," ahh such low hanging fruit that sort of story telling device. Shouldn't have even done that do us in the first place. A duel with the crazed brother and Benkei dying that way could have worked - yes yes like Brother kills Benkei because Ryo/Yoshitsune distracts Benkei with pretty hair and dramatic running, then Ryo/Yoshitsune avenging Benkei right on the spot and losing both of them within minutes apart..oh yes that would have felt more honorable than AN ARROW THROUGH THE BACK OF HIS NECK MY GOD!!!!! *side note: what a bummer sex scene..way too much build up, maybe the dialogue is the meaty bits of it? haha I just felt way more passion between them from scene like when she gifted him the bear vest haha..y'know? Sigh..*

    I'm so frustrated...so is the entire story on a loop? History wasn't changed of course since things in "modern day" seem to be more or less the same. Except this time Ryo actually lives where as in our first rodeo it's Yoshitsune who lives and Ryo dies?? I don't believe it is on a loop, Ryo isn't Yoshitsune anymore so she won't need to ever go back to the forest..but why doesn't Kaison go back to his time? To always watch over her and Aoi? I don't know I don't knowwwww.

    Gosh please I will help chip in for translations.
    My heart weighs so much.
    Time to soak in the numbness..and to distract my pain by jumping into another series.

    PS: I hope this whole forum has read/watched Fushigi Yuugi (such good music and all the sparkles)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose what that big mess above me was getting as was that the ending was SO RUSHED.

      Delete

Powered by Blogger.

Alice C.

I fall, and stand up again.
Subscribe Via Email

Subscribe to our newsletter to get the latest updates to your inbox. ;-)


Your email address is safe with us!

Popular Posts